Monday, October 18, 2010

I Need Some Advice...

Ok, I need some advice, and then I'll get to the updates. It's Railee's nap time and she's crying in her room. She is an awesome sleeper once she gets asleep... but that's where I have the problem. She used to go to sleep without a problem, but sometime in the last month or two it's become such a battle! I guess it's separation anxiety, and I clearly don't know how to help her cope with it. She wants me to hold her while she's asleep. I've tried holding her until she falls asleep, but I don't want that to become a habit. I've tried everything. The most effective, according to my What to Expect the First Year book, is to just let her cry without disturbing her and she'll eventually get more comfortable getting herself to sleep. Well, I try that every time and it's not getting any better. I've tried putting her to sleep with her bottle (I go get it once she's asleep). Doesn't work! She's so mad that she forgets all about the bottle. I bought her a little glow worm to fall asleep with. She loved it in the store, but now I think it scares her. I've tried poking my head in here and there just to let her know that I'm still here. I've tried leaving the door open so she can hear us and/or so she can see the hall light. I play soft music. I don't play the music. For the most part I've tried to be as consistent as possible in our methods and routine. Her doctor said consistency is what she needs the most at this time. So, the thing we stick with the most is bath, pajamas, brush teeth, bottle with story, a little soothing while rocking with soft music, and then when she looks like she can fall asleep any second (and sometimes she does in my arms), I put her in her crib with the soft music still playing. EVERY TIME she immediately wakes up, pulls herself up and starts screaming! I'll stand next to her, without picking her up, and tell her I love her and it's time to go to sleep. Then I slowly walk out. The farther away I get the louder she wails. Her crib, for her, is starting to have a negative association. She reacts like I'm punishing her. She gets so mad and so sad that I almost cry every time. Just this morning I noticed she's been biting her crib. There are probably about 10 bite marks. I don't want her to think her crib is a prison, a punishment, or a scary place. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Ok, now for updates. Life's actually slowed down a ton. Railee has 6 teeth now. She's been crawling and pulling herself on things for forever now. She's not showing a single ounce of interest in walking. She could walk, but really doesn't care about it even when I try to help her. She still as wiggly as ever. She loves Sesame Street. She LOVES music and dancing... she focuses really hard on trying to move with the beat. I've started to pack away all her clothes that don't fit anymore and it makes me sad. She used to be so tiny! What happened to my little NB? When and how did she go from...to...

I know she's still not very big, which makes it even weirder to think how much she will grow within a few years! Am I really a mom? Weird! Here are a few more pictures of her.
9 Months Old

Sesame Street

Railee's favorite game - Pulling all the DVDs off the shelves.
Midway - Sheepdog Championships

Chase is working and schooling and staying busy ALL the time. I am mostly at home trying to figure out how to entertain myself without spending money. I'm not a spendaholic, but I definitely could do better! I just made a magnet calendar from things I had around the house. I am kind of proud of myself for not buying anything for it. You can also write on it with dry-erase markers. It turned out pretty cute. I'll have to take a picture and post it when it's all the way done. I need to repaint the frame first.

Not much else is going on around here... hope to hear any suggestions for our little sleeping problem.

3 comments:

The Hale Family said...

Mikah! your little girl is so dang cute! My house is in Lehi, we are loving it. Thank you! I do help people with decorating when they ask.. I would be more than happy to help you if you would like.. I like to take thing you already have and either paint it or just re-arrange it! Let me know! Love your calendar you made, good job! Remind me where your house is again...?

Emily said...

Hey Mikah! She is so cute. Putting baby clothes away makes me so sad too! Good luck on the sleeping thing. With Henri we just leave him and if he is screaming I rock him for a minute and put him down again. Inevitably he starts screaming again, but only for a minute. Something that helps me stick to what I decide is just talking to Charles about it and making it "the plan." Good luck!

Staci Davies said...

Oh man! I hate hated hearing this. It brings back bad memories, well, with Ava we still struggle sometimes. Bed time is a constant battle. I'm sorry you've tried so many things and it doesn't seem to be working. The hardest thing is she's not old enough to really understand. I think letting them cry it out and learning on their own is the best. And what you said about not letting her get a habit of always having you there rocking or holding her to sleep (bless her cute little heart). Oh man, it's so tough...I'm sure if you're consistent you'll get it girl! It's only for the best for all of you. Sounds like one of those plastic covers for the crib rail might be on your next grocery list. ;) Love ya!

Blogging Blogger

Well, isn't it about time I made one of these for Chase and me? I love looking at everybody else's... seeing what's been happening in everybody's lives with discription and pictures to go along with it. I thought since I enjoy seeing all the other blogs, why wouldn't people want to see mine. So, here it is! It's a work in progress, but it'll get better as I get more familiar with all the gadgets and gizmos. Hope you all enjoy it!